Couch to 5k in 6 Weeks
I did this in the summer before school started, then figured I couldn't fit it in, and stopped. But in a few weeks i went from being able to jog 60 seconds without stopping, to going for 20 minutes. It was such a great feeling knowing that I was improving, and also I took it slow enough that I never really dreaded going the next time (unless it meant waking up early).
I also started reading a book called Straighter, Stronger, Leaner, Longer by a physical trainer. I really like it so far. She is very knowledgeable about anatomy--especially how muscles and bones work together. She helps you assess your lifestyle and how you use your body, and where you feel pain. The book is divided into different sections according to exercises for different parts of the body.
I like how she doesn't focus on aesthetics, but rather on strengthening your core muscles, so that every day movement initiates in those muscles, relieving unnecessary stress and strain on other muscles. i'm excited to try some of the exercises.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Joanna,
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited about this. It's amazing you went from jogging 60 seconds to being able to jog for 20 minutes! I want that. I like the approach of the book you described in that it's not trying to turn you into a muscle-bound babe but helping you get stronger.
I know it can be done. I have a friend who lost 60 pounds last year. She started out not being able to run far at all but is now training for a marathon. She regularly runs 11 miles a day, looks fabulous, but more important feels fantastic. She is brimming over with enthusiasm and says it has changed her life.
So, here goes. I'm going to print off the program for myself again and start tomorrow. YEAH!
Leah - you sound committed and ready. Awesome. Are folks still playing soccer in Provo in the mornings? I'm looking forward to building my routine around something like that.
ReplyDeleteI've never been fond of running to run. Something scary has to be chasing me or I have to be playing a team sport. Maybe couch to 5k can help me change that.
Anyone have any advice on what kind of exercise to do if you only have 10 minutes a day?
ReplyDeletejump rope Jordan! Or the classic sit-ups, push-ups routine with crunches.
ReplyDelete