These recipes probably aren't the most healthy...but they are both delicious!
Shells With Green, Red, and Yellow Peppers and Cream by Marcella Hazan
for 4 to 6 persons
3 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup onion chopped not too fine
1 cup green bell peppers diced into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup red bell peppers diced into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup yellow bell peppers, if available, diced into 1/2 in cubes
(You can really use any combination of peppers and it will be wonderful--I used orange and yellow the other day. I have never tried it with the green but it would probably be awesome that way)
Salt
Black pepper in a grinder
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 pound shells (I used penne and it was great)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano (parmesan)
In a 10- to 12-inch saute pan put the butter, oil, and chopped onion and turn on the heat to medium. Saute the onion until it becomes colored a pale gold.
Add all the diced peppers, turn up the heat to medium high, and cook until tender, turning them from time to time.
Add salt and generous grindings of pepper, stir well, add the cream, and turn up the heat to high. Cook until the cream is reduced by half. (The cream will be bubbling up alot--I just estimated when it was reduced enough because it's hard to tell)
Drop the pasta into a pot of abundant boiling salted water. Cook until it is barely tender but firm to the bite. Drain and toss immediately in a warm bowl with the peppers and cream and all their pan juices. Sprinkle with parsley and grated cheese, toss again, and serve at once.
We had asparagus on the side and a green salad with roasted almonds, craisins, and balsamic vinaigrette. It was a heavenly dinner!
This next pasta is so easy. I'm sure it's not the best health-wise either, but kids love it and it is so easy and quick!
Pasta With Cream Cheese and Pistachio Nuts--from the New Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas (I have never used the pistachio nuts, although I've used walnuts a few times and like it that way or without any nuts).
1 lb rigatoni or pasta of your choice
2 1/2 Tbsp butter
6 oz cream cheese (I sometimes use all 8 oz if I don't want 2 oz hanging around gathering mold)
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup shelled, roasted pistachio nuts (optional)
Put the pasta on to cook in a big pot of boiling salted water.
Melt the butter in a large saute pan, and add the cream cheese, broken into chunks. Add the milk and whisk (you should actually use a whisk to get rid of all the lumps) and in a little while you'll have a smooth, creamy sauce.
When the pasta is done, drain it and add it to the cream cheese sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir until all the pasta is coated with sauce, then serve. Sprinkle each serving with some pistachio nuts.
We love this with broccoli or peas on the side (or you could even mix them in!)
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Leah, I made the pasta with peppers and cream and it was excellent! I used red, green, and yellow peppers, and I really loved it.
ReplyDelete